Respite is a flexible family support service. The primary purpose of respite is to provide support
to the person and give the primary unpaid caregiver time away from duties. Respite services
include assisting with routine ADL (e.g., bathing, toileting, preparing or assisting with meal
preparation, and eating); enhancing self-help skills; increasing social and community
awareness; providing opportunities for leisure, play, neighborhood and community
involvement and other recreational and social activities; and providing opportunities for the
person to make their own choices about daily activities.
Respite may be provided in:
a. the person’s home;
b. the provider’s home;
c. a community setting of the person’s or family’s choice (e.g., community center, swimming pool, park); or
d. a location in which other people are provided care (e.g., a respite home).
There are two rates and models for respite: individual and group (for less than or equal to five
The scope of Respite includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. training and assistance for community integration, including implementation of preferential meaningful activities;
2. assistance in developing and/or maintaining social, spiritual, and individual relationships, including the development of generic and natural supports of the person’s choosing;
3. implementing plans as applicable to the person in services (e.g. WDSI, TSS, HCPs including CARMPs, MERPs, PBSPs, RMPs, PPMPs and BCIPs);
4. assistance in implementing health maintenance supports and accessing urgent medical care when needed; and
5. assistance with medication management needs to include reminding, observing, and monitoring self-administration of medication.
6. When respite is only service on budget for someone 21 and older, service tracks progress on Action Plans and Desired outcomes. .
The above is an abbreviated version of this chapter. For a full description of Respite Services please click here, scroll to the index and click Chapter 14.8.
From the Developmental Disabilities Waiver (DDW) Service Standards Manuel - Revised April 23, 2013, June 15, 2015, March 1, 2018, November 1, 2021